SurveyMonkey Announces First Quarter 2019 Financial Results
SAN MATEO, Calif.—May 8, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE)— SurveyMonkey Inc. (“SurveyMonkey”), a leading global survey software company, announced today that its parent company, SVMK Inc. (Nasdaq: SVMK, and collectively with SurveyMonkey referred to as “SVMK”, “we” or “us”), reported first quarter 2019 financial results for the period ended March 31, 2019, and posted a shareholder letter with complete first quarter 2019 financial results and management commentary on its investor relations website at investor.surveymonkey.com.
Q1 2019 Key Results
- Revenue was $68.6 million for 17% year-over-year growth.
- Paying users totaled 670,862 compared to 610,457 in Q1 2018, for 10% year-over-year growth, and up 24,135 paying users from Q4 2018, for 4% quarter-over-quarter growth. Approximately 78% of our paying users were on annual plans, up from 75% in Q1 2018 and 77% in Q4 2018.
- Average revenue per user was $423 compared to $390 in Q1 2018, for 8% year-over-year growth, and down slightly from $425 in Q4 2018.
- Enterprise sales revenue was approximately 16% of total revenue, up from approximately 13% in Q4 2018. We ended the quarter with 3,909 enterprise sales customers, up from 2,838 in Q1 2018, for 37% year-over-year growth, and an increase of 343 customers from Q4 2018.
- GAAP operating margin was (24%) and non-GAAP operating margin was 0%.
- GAAP net loss was ($17.8) million and Adjusted EBITDA was $8.5 million.
- GAAP basic and diluted net loss per share was ($0.14). Non-GAAP basic and diluted net loss per share was ($0.02).
- Net cash provided by operating activities was $7.8 million and unlevered free cash flow was $7.5 million, for an 11% margin.
- On April 1, 2019, we closed our acquisition of Usabilla. In Q1 2019, we incurred approximately $0.9 million in transaction costs in connection with this acquisition which impacted our operating expenses and cash flows for the quarter.
- Cash and cash equivalents was $165.9 million and total debt was $216.9 million for net debt of $51.0 million. Subsequent to Q1 2019, our acquisition of Usabilla resulted in a net cash outlay of approximately $53 million.
“Our Q1 2019 results mark a strong start to the year and demonstrate the continued progress against the execution plan we outlined during our IPO. Our paying user growth continues to accelerate driven by sales of SurveyMonkey Enterprise and adoption of our collaborative Teams plans with approximately 90% of the net adds in the quarter from annual plans. Our recent acquisition of Usabilla strengthens our international presence and we believe our combined software solutions offer unparalleled value to customer-centric marketers and will further accelerate our enterprise sales,” said SurveyMonkey CEO Zander Lurie. “We continue to deliver solid revenue growth and robust cash flow, and have increased confidence in the strategy we are executing to scale our business.”
|Revenue||$72 million - $73 million||15% - 16% YoY growth|
|Non-GAAP operating margin||(4%) - (2%)|
|Revenue||$298 million - $304 million||17% - 20% YoY growth|
|Non-GAAP operating margin||(1%) - (+1%)|
|Unlevered free cash flow||$50 million - $53 million||17% margin|
With the strength in our Teams offering and enterprise sales, coupled with the acquisition of Usabilla, we’re updating our financial outlook for Q2 2019 and full-year 2019.
Our financial outlook includes contribution from Usabilla beginning April 1, 2019. The revenue contribution from Usabilla will be impacted by ASC 805 fair value purchase accounting adjustments to deferred revenue that will reduce the amount of revenue to be recognized. We expect the headwind from the deferred revenue adjustment to be strongest in Q2 2019 and then have decreasing impact over the course of the year. Post the deferred revenue adjustment, we expect Usabilla to contribute approximately two points of revenue growth towards our full year 2019 financial outlook – a disproportionate percentage of which will be recognized in the second half of the year. We also expect Usabilla to be a headwind on non-GAAP operating margin and unlevered free cash flow margin.
We are forecasting revenue in Q2 2019 to grow 15% to 16%. In Q2 2018, we benefited from the pricing changes to our self-serve customers that began in mid-2017 and drove maximum core revenue impact with 21% year-over-year growth, setting up a more difficult comparison from a year-over-year growth perspective in Q2 2019.
We expect our growth initiatives in enterprise sales and our collaborative Teams offering, combined with the integration of Usabilla, to drive accelerating revenue growth in the second half of 2019.
As we shared previously, we adopted the new lease accounting guidance under ASC 842, effective January 1, 2019. Under this guidance, lease payments associated with our San Mateo headquarters are now accounted for as an operating expense in the condensed consolidated statements of operations. Prior to the adoption of ASC 842, these lease payments were primarily accounted for as interest expense. As a result of this change, non-GAAP operating income in Q1 2019 was impacted by approximately $1.5 million and we expect the full-year impact to be approximately $6 million. There is no impact to free cash flow from this change. For comparison purposes, under the new accounting guidance, non-GAAP operating margin for Q2 2018 and full-year 2018 would have been 6.1% and 3.6%, respectively.
Conference Call Information
We will host a conference call today to discuss our Q1 2019 business and financial results. This call is scheduled to begin at 2:00 pm PT / 5:00 pm ET and can be accessed by dialing (866) 417-2046 or (409) 217-8231. To listen to a live audio webcast, please visit SurveyMonkey’s Investor Relations website at investor.surveymonkey.com. A replay of the audio webcast will be available on the same website following the call. A telephonic replay will be available through May 15, 2019 by dialing (855) 859-2056 or (404) 537-3406 and entering passcode 2065413#.
Zander Lurie, CEO and Interim CFO, will be presenting at the 2019 J.P. Morgan Global Technology, Media & Communications Conference in Boston, MA on Tuesday, May 14, 2019. A live webcast will be accessible from the SurveyMonkey investor relations website at investor.surveymonkey.com. Following the event, a replay will be made available at the same location.
SurveyMonkey is a leading global survey software company on a mission to power the curious. The company’s People Powered Data platform empowers over 17 million active users to measure and understand feedback from employees, customers, website and app users, and the market. SurveyMonkey’s products, enterprise solutions and integrations enable 350,000+ organizations to solve daily challenges, from delivering better customer experiences to increasing employee retention. With SurveyMonkey, organizations around the world can transform feedback into business intelligence that drives growth and innovation.
Source: SurveyMonkey Inc.